This is a fact among those who operate both online and live casinos: People love to play slots machines in 2023.
Slot machines are one of the most popular casino games in some countries, including the United States. The popularity of slot machines is growing to the point that they are rivaling table games.
This naturally leads to the big question “How can you win at the slot machines?”.
It’s all luck. It is impossible to cut the house’s mathematical edge with blackjack or video poker strategies. The odds of winning on slots machines are inexorable. You cannot legally change the outcome of slot machines, but scammers sometimes succeed until they are caught and held in prison.
There are ways to get the most from the games.
Let’s look at the big questions from a two-tiered perspective. We will discuss tips and systems to play with slot machines strengths and weaknesses, as well as scams and cheats in slot machines. Below are some slot tips and cautions to help you win at the slot machines.
SLOT TIPS: THE DOS
SLOTS WITH HIGHER DENOMINATION LOTS HAVE HIGHER PAYBACK PARCENTAGES
This was true in the days of three-reel slots. It’s also true today when most games are video slots. Dollar slots have a higher return percentage than quarter slots. However, this is not to say that everyone should play dollar slots.
There are other factors than payback percentage. Entertainment value is what you desire from a game.
Playing higher-denomination slots can lead to bigger losses and greater risk, even if you are only betting in dollars and cents. You will lose more money if you bet $3 on a 3-coin dollar slot with a payout of 95 percent than if your losses are 40 cents on a 40 line 1-cent game that pays an 86 percent.
IF YOU PLAY PROGRESSIVE SLOTS, MAKE SURE YOU BET ENOUGH TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE JACKPOTS
Progressive slot machines add a percentage to the jackpot or jackpots for every wager.
A three-reel machine with a progressive jackpot is usually available. To be eligible, you need to wager maximum coins.
For example, if you only bet one or two coins, you won’t win the progressive on a three-coin slot machine. The top combination of the jackpot on the payline will result in a lower payoff at a fixed sum.
- Progressive jackpots are often multi-tiered on video slots. There have been anywhere from 2 to 12 progressive levels.
- A typical four-tier progressive is one with levels labeled minor, major, grand, bronze, silver and gold, or something similar.
- All players can win the jackpots on some video slots regardless of their bet size. For some video slots, each player must place a separate wager to become jackpot eligible.
- Jackpots are the most important events in progressives. Other than those jackpots the games pay less than other games.
- Do not settle for a game with lower payouts. You must make the required bets to be eligible for the Jackpots. You can choose a nonprogressive game if you don’t have the funds.
CHOOSE GAMES FITTING YOUR GOALS and PLAYING PERSONALITY
Do you want to find games with maximum jackpot chances, games that offer extended play and small wins?
While lines can blur as game designers experiment with all formats, there are some general guidelines.
- Three-reel games place more emphasis on the top jackpots, but they have a lower hit frequency and more losing spins. These games offer the highest chance of winning big but also allow you to lose quickly.
- Video slots with pick-em bonuses let you touch the screen to select gift boxes, restaurant meals, or other icons that will reveal your bonuses.
- .Video slots with feature pick’em bonus features have high hit frequency and many small wins. This gives you more time to play but less chance of hitting a huge jackpot.
- Free spins are the main bonus event in video slots. They fall between the three reel games and pick’em games. This is because they offer both volatility and the possibility of a big win.
- Free spins allow you to win any amount up to the maximum jackpot. It’s possible to win nothing during the free spins.
- The possibility of a zero bonus balances out the chance of larger wins than what you get in pick’em.
- You can choose where you want to find the greatest value: in jackpot chances, pick’em bonus player participation, or in free spins.
ALWAYS PLAY WITHIN YOUR BUDGET AND BE WILLING TO LOWER YOUR BET OR STOP PLAYING IF YOU HIT A LIMIT
The majority of sessions at slot machines will end in losing money. There is nothing you can do about that.
Sometimes, you can win big at slot machines. These are the times to enjoy them.
- Don’t bet on money you don’t have the means to lose. Make sure you only play games that are within your budget.
- To give yourself a 90 percent chance to last three hours, your gambling bankroll should contain 250 bets.
- Below is a list of recommended bankrolls to give you a 90-percent chance that you will have three hours of work without having to spend it all on common configurations.
- You can’t afford to play dollars slots if you have $200 in cash or you log on to an online casino. If you decide to give them a try and lose $100, you can either withdraw the money or go to penny slots.
- The slot machines do not allow players to place multiple bets in different combinations, such as in craps or roulette. They also don’t offer the same opportunities to profit from ever-shifting odds like blackjack card counters. However, many slot machine players have been playing systems for decades.
- However, the odds of winning at a slot machine are the same every time. While the most innovative systems may be entertaining to play, they won’t guarantee you a win.
START SMALL to WIN BIG OR “PRIME THE PUMP”
Prime the pump bettors assume that the wins will not come immediately. They begin with small bets, then increase their stakes to win big.
You are as likely to win as you are to lose early on. Also, starting small can lead to some missed winners. The payback percentage is the same as if the bet was the same on each spin.
Chuck Flick, a player in slot machines, tried to prime the pump by increasing his stakes in a consistent pattern. He had five sessions of losing and one winning session. This is a common outcome, even if you don’t start small.
PLAY SLOT MACHINES RIGHT AT THE ENDS OF ROWS
It is believed that the machines at the ends are visible to passersby, and casinos want to see other customers seeing them win.
This is less important today as payoffs are by bar-coded tickets rather than coins dropped in a tray. These are no longer the obvious signs of winning.
Modern casinos have games that are the same in type and pay the same percentage.
SLOT MACHINES OF BIG PAYING BUSINESSES – SCOUT SLOT MACHINES
Some players love to play big-paying games, believing they are hot machines. Some players avoid these games because they are likely to become cold.
It is also possible to do the opposite. Some players think cold machines are duds. Others believe they are due to heat up.
Allstreaks in reality are just blips on a radar to machines that yield a regular payback percentage over hundreds and thousands of plays.
Machines are never “due to” go hot or cold. Recent paybacks don’t give any indication of how a machine will perform.
LOOK FOR NEAR MISSES
Near misses are games that have jackpot symbols on the reels, or screens. However, they may not be close to a winning combination.
If you are in the right mindset, scouting can add intrigue to the process of choosing a game. However, near misses don’t necessarily mean that much.
The past outcomes of near misses are not indicative of the future.
It’s the same with slot machines. These systems can be interesting, but they don’t have the power to change the outcome or make you a winner.
TRY ONLINE SLOTS TO GET EXTRA VALUE
Online distribution is possible for major slot machine manufacturers that supply live casino games. Online games can be found at Scientific Games, International Game Technology and Aristocrat Technologies.
There is a new breed in game design that focuses on the online market. ReelPlay and NextGen, among others, put innovative touches on games for online players. High Five Gaming is an online gaming company that has licensed large slot machine manufacturers to live play.
Online and live casino video slots look very similar. These slots are programmed in the exact same way. They use numbers generated randomly and map them onto reel positions. Bonus possibilities can also be included.
Online gaming is not easy for big, elaborate displays with moving parts. Online slot designers have the freedom to let their imaginations run wild and create unique bonus events, such as the Mystery Chase through NetEnt’s Crime Zone or the outer-space cluster payouts that replace the paylines in ReelPlay’s Cosmic Convoy.
You can play any live casino game that you find appealing online. You might also want to try out games by unknown game producers. You may discover some new favorites.
TAKE ADVANTAGE OFF BONUSES & PROMOTIONS
Online casinos often offer bonuses for players who sign up. Although there may be some restrictions, you might get a bonus without having to deposit funds. If you deposit, you will receive a larger bonus.
- Before you can cash out, you will need to use the bonus code to play. A casino would not give you money to play without you trying the product.
- You can also use your bonus money to buy new games or play old ones before spending your own money.
- Signing up for an account at most online casinos will allow you to sign up for a player reward program. You can receive special offers like free spins and bonus credits once you are an active player.
- Online programs should be treated with the same caution as live player rewards cards. Do not place extra money for the sake or increase your bankroll. You can play at your normal comfort level and reap the rewards.
These rewards can help increase your overall return and start with online players receiving sign-up
SEARCH GAME DEMOS IF YOU WANT TO SEE HOW A GAME FEELS
A new game is presented to you for the first-time. It looks interesting and the bonus on the “attract screen” while the game isn’t in use looks fun.
What should you do? Chances are that you will make an immediate decision in a live casino whether to play the game or invest your time and money. Rarely will a player pull out their phone to find out more about the game.
- Online players have access to a wealth information, regardless of whether they are playing on their phone, tablet, or computer.
- You can usually get multiple results if you enter the name of the slot machine and the name of the game into your search engine. You’ll most likely be able see the game live if you click “videos”.
- The manufacturer may offer demos of the reels, symbols, and themes. These videos will also show how the various bonus rounds work. Some videos were made by players using their phones to record gameplay sessions.
- You can get a feel for the game’s highs and lows, losing streaks, and lucrative bonuses by watching player videos.
- A search for Fruit Shop Megaways slot machine brought up many video results with varying lengths. Some of these are from countries where the game was first released before it made its way to the United States.
Sites that focus on reviewing new games will be found in addition to video results. Some include game designers’ target payback percentages. Online slot games have higher returns than live casinos. However, it is common for operators to offer a variety of paybacks. The percentages that you see in reviews might not be the same as what is available in your area.
You don’t have to rush when playing online. Before you decide to play, take a few moments to view a demo.
BE AWARE THAT YOU’RE PLAYING TO WIN REAL MONEY
This is true in online and live casinos alike, but it is especially important online because it can be difficult to distinguish between playing for real money and playing in “social” casino games.
- Players used to drop coins into slot machines to activate the games each time they spun, up until the early 1990s.
- This changed when credit meters and bill validators were introduced to live casinos. Instead of depositing money in slots, bettors used credit cards that they had purchased with paper money. It was easier to see wagers as credits and not cash.
- Online slots require advance deposits and credit to play.
- It’s an easy system that almost no player would ever want to return to dropping coins.
- It can be a psychological barrier between you and your money. It is easy to confuse the difference between social play and pay-to-play, where credits are money.
It’s difficult to convince yourself that you need to protect your bankroll if you think, “Well, these are only credits,” or, even worse, “They’re already bought for.” Always remember that these credits are cash and that overbetting can lead to real losses when you play for money.
SLOT TIPS: The DON’TS
There will always be people who are willing to cheat the system in any business that has a lot of cash.
- Live casinos have more slots that are susceptible to fraud than online casinos.
- In jurisdictions that have licensed casinos, cheating is not allowed. Cheating licensed casinos can be a felony that could lead to severe prison sentences.
- Here are some scams that players have attempted.
Cheats used to trick people into believing that all slots were three reel games with coin slots.
They would drop the coin in the slot, trip on the mechanism that gives them credit to play, and then pull the coin out with the string.
Nevada’s one woman was caught using a penny on a brightly colored yarn. It was easy to spot from far away. Some were more obvious than others, but those who were arrested were still charged.
To make it impossible for this to happen, manufacturers created more secure coin acceptance devices. Most slots today accept only tickets or paper currency and do not have slot heads.
SLUG IT OUT
Casinos had to deal with fake coins or slugs as long as they accepted coins.
They were a simple rounded piece made of metal with no design. Some were more complex, and counterfeiters in eastern U.S. stamped tokens for slot machines that looked similar to those in New Jersey.
Cheats were possible as long as the manufacturing and metal costs were lower than the actual value of the slot coins.
To combat this problem, coin recognition software became increasingly sophisticated.
Some slot machines from the 1960s and 1970s were susceptible to ordinary magnets.
The magnets could be used by scammers to allow the reels to float instead of stopping at a stop. Only after the winning combination was achieved, would the scammers remove the magnet.
Top-bottom devices were more sophisticated, and they were still in use into the 1980s. The top consisted of a rod made from metal, bent at one end and a strand or wire at the bottom.
To make a contact with the metal, the wire would be inserted into the coin slot. The top would then be placed in the slot. This combination would create a circuit that activated a coin dispenser, and sent free coins into the slot tray.
To protect vital parts from magnetic interference and make it impossible for contacts to become an electrical circuit, protection had to be included in the games.
This was a scam that was perpetrated in the 1990s on “Big Bertha’ slots. Big Bertha’s slots are larger and more expansive than other types.
After crowding around Big Bertha, a Nevada team was arrested. A woman entered the machine through the front and opened it. The results were then rigged by her.
While the team members were blocking views, it looked like everything was normal to casual passersby. However, security was alert enough stop the cheaters.
CHEAT BY CHIP
The Nevada Gaming Commission’s software engineer programmed chips that worked normally in slot machines. However, cheat codes could be used by those who are in the know.
The machine would pay out if the cheats placed specific amounts of coins in a particular order.
Of course, the engineer was taken into custody.
Let me conclude by saying that it is important to be familiar with the workings of slot machines. This will help you to understand what to expect, and how to adapt your game style to fit the specific features of each slot machine.
AUTOMATICALLY BET THE MAX
- Players were taught for generations that maximum bets would bring the highest percentage of payback.
- This was true for most three-reel slot machines, but not online or video slots.
- Incentives built into pay tables are the reason max bets have the highest percentage of payback.
- If you wager maximum coins, there is a tendency to see a jump in the top jackpot.
- This is true for almost all online and video slots. Pay table returns are proportionate. This means that the average payback percentage for all lines is the same, regardless of how many coins you bet.
You can cover all paylines online and in video slots. However, you should only bet at your level of comfort and not worry about exceeding it.